Artist Statement

Thursday, April 05, 2012

Winter Waterfall, Spring Waterfall

Winter Waterfall,
Oil on Stretched Canvas, 16" x 20"
Available at $50 plus $15.00 shipping.

Spring Waterfall,
Oil on Stretched Canvas, 16" x 20"
Revised on 4/13/2012.

I am floundering with these, struggling with rocks, not really happy with either one.
There are a few nice little spots, but overall, I don't paint rocks with any sort of confidence. (Which accounts for the low price on fairly large canvases.) These were done as homework for the Webinar class I'm taking right now on "The Essentials of Painting Rocks" with Johannes Vloothuis through Wet Canvas.
I clearly need to pay more attention in class!

1 comment:

cabinart said...

Nel, your rocks don't look awful to me, but since they do to you, here are a couple of things you might try:

1. add more texture by putting in some blurry slightly darker markings
2. evaluate your shapes - is that what is bugging you?
3. evaluate your edges - are there too many hard edges? not enough? in the wrong places?

That's the process I use when my rocks (or anything) looks wrong to me.

Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails